Minutes January 2018

MINUTES of the meeting held by Lydiard Millicent Parish Council on Thursday 4th January 2018, in the Parish Hall Lydiard Millicent, commencing at 7.30pm.

PRESENT: Cllrs Dean Cobb, Sarah Hill Wheeler, Sian Penning, Alan Pfleger (vicechairman), Richard Selwood, Mike Sharp, Phil Shepherd. Mrs Deborah Bourne (Clerk).

Also Present: Cllr Mollie Groom, Andrew Harris, plus two members of the public.

Public Question Time: There were no questions raised by members of the public.


Andrew Harris read out a statement giving details of why he resigned from the Council; he will be moving away from the area later in the year and hoped that if a new Chairman was elected now it would allow for continuity with projects for the remainder of the term.
Alan Pfleger, on behalf of the Council, thanked Andrew for his dedication whilst he was chairman and presented him with a framed map of the area.

Wiltshire Council Report: Cllr Mollie Groom updated members on issues concerning the parish; mostly the updates were that sent e-mails were awaiting replies. In particular the hedge at Casa Paolo junction is hindering visibility. Cllr Groom requested that, in the first instance, the Parish Council writes to the landowner to make the necessary arrangements. Cllr Groom also encouraged the Parish Council to send all Highways issues to her, for dissemination to the appropriate officers. The Clerk will write to the owner’s of the hedge, and copy Cllr Groom into any correspondence concerning Highways.


Due to the resignation of Andrew Harris the role of chairman is now vacant. LGA 1972 s14 states that for a Council to be properly constituted it must have a chairman; no other business can be transacted until a chairman has been elected. As Lydiard Millicent Parish Council has a vice chairman he is able to oversee
the first item of business at this meeting.


158/17 Election of Chairman
001/18 Cllr Pfleger asked for nominations for the position of Chairman. The person elected today will serve until the Annual Parish Council meeting in May, when
he or she can seek re-election, if they wish. There were two nominations:

Nominee Proposer Seconder Votes
Alan Pfleger Dean Cobb Richard Selwood 4
Mike Sharp Sarah Hill Wheeler Sian Penning 3

RESOLVED that Cllr Alan Pfleger will be Chairman; and that the meeting continue after Cllr Pfleger has signed his declaration of office, and his signature
witnessed by the Proper Officer.
Acceptance of Office signed and witnessed: Cllr Alan Pfleger is now Chairman of LMPC

On signature of the Acceptance of Office for Chairman the position of vicechairman became vacant. Lydiard Millicent Parish Council operates with a vice
chairman so nominations were sought for the position of vice chairman.

Nominee Proposer Seconder Votes
Dean Cobb Alan Pfleger Richard Selwood 4
Mike Sharp Sarah Hill Wheeler Sian Penning 3

RESOLVED to accept Cllr Dean Cobb as vice chairman until May 2018, this being in accordance with the Local Government Act 1972, sch 12 s 7(2).


159/17 Apologies for Absence
002/18 Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs Andre Kayani and Vernon Montgomery.


160/17 Declarations of Interest
003/18 There were no Declarations of Interest regarding any items on this agenda.


004/18 Minutes
It was RESOLVED to adopt the minutes of the meeting held Thursday 7th December 2017 as a true record. These were duly signed by Cllr Pfleger.


005/18 Finance
RFO requested that two Councillors sign cheques on Friday 5th January 2018.
Details of these will be included in the next agenda. It was also brought to the Council's attention that with the resignation of Andrew Harris there are only three
cheque signatories.
RESOLVED that Cllr Sian Penning be added as a signatory to the Councils Bank Accounts. RFO to complete appropriate forms.


006/18 Planning Matters
a) The Council noted the following decisions made by Wiltshire Council since the last meeting:
- 17/10116/FUL – 28 Stone Lane, Lydiard Millicent
Proposed dormer (retrospective).
Decision : Approve with Conditions
- 17/10915/TCA –Lydiard Millicent C of E Primary School
Reduce branches overhanging in car park.
Decision : No Objections
b) There were no Planning Applications from Wiltshire Council for consideration at this meeting.


007/18 Annual Estimates of Income and Expenditure
Councillors were advised that the effect of section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 is that if, when considering budgetary items, any Councillor is in arrears for more than two months with his/her Council Tax, he/she must declare that section 106 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992 applies and neither speak nor vote on the matter before Council. Failure to observe this renders the Councillor liable for prosecution by the Director of Public
Prosecutions.

 A draft budget, prepared by the RFO, was presented to the Council. Detailed discussion took place at each line. The presented budget had allowed for a 3%
inflation rise where appropriate. Included within the report were also indicative figures and the effects on Band D equivalents.


General discussions included:
- Need to allocate an amount for larger replacements; budget for these items over a number of years rather than a sharp rise in one year.
- What would be an appropriate amount for this fund?
- Should there be a Five Year Plan; the Council should be thinking ahead into medium and long term rather than just the next 12 months.
- Importance of starting from a secure foundation.
- Precept should not be increased; money should be taken from reserves. Chairman proposed that a recorded vote be taken to add an additional £3,807 as
the first contribution to a replacement budget; with this inclusion to adopt the RFO budget.
Recorded Vote: Adoption of RFO Budget plus £3,807

FOR: (5) Cllrs Dean Cobb, Sian Penning, Alan Pfleger, Richard Selwood, Phil Shepherd.
AGAINST: (1) Cllr Sarah Hill Wheeler
Abstentions: (1) Cllr Mike Sharp
RESOLVED that the Draft Budget, together with an additional £3,807 to start a replacement fund, be adopted for the financial year 2018/19.
07A/18 Discussion took place as to how much of this budget should be financed through taxes, or from the Councils General Reserves.
Points included:
- Council should become more professional, rather than relying on Councillors to undertake repairs etc voluntarily.
- A need to weigh risk against planned expenditure
- Councillors must talk to residents, to gauge their support or otherwise
- How much would Band D cost - £61.99 for draft budget
- How much extra is added to include £3,807 – and extra £5.00
- Comparisons were made against weekly expenditure – Band D this year would be £1.28 per week.
- Is there any guideline as to the amount of General Reserve that a Council should maintain?
Officer Advice: Accounts and Audit Regs state a Council should hold between six and 12 months expenditure in its General Reserves

Chairman summarised debate and proposed that a precept of £51,010 be levied.
A recorded vote was requested by Cllr Sarah Hill Wheeler.
Recorded Vote: Precept of £51,010 be levied
FOR: (5) Cllrs Dean Cobb, Sian Penning, Alan Pfleger, Richard Selwood, Phil Shepherd.
AGAINST: (2) Cllr Sarah Hill Wheeler, Mike Sharp
Abstentions: None
RESOLVED that a precept of £51,010 (Fifty One Thousand, and Ten Pounds) be levied, and that the Clerk submits this to Wiltshire Council using the previously
supplied forms.
Further RESOLVED that the Council will consider adopting a longer term plan, to include policies on some of the projects currently being discussed independently within the parish. This will be undertaken over a number of months before any details are available. Councillors individually will talk to
residents about the various projects.


008/18 Working Groups and Outside Body Reports
There were no reports to note.


009/18 Communications
Clerk updated the Council on the last months workload; much of the time was spent on the Draft Budget preparation for this meeting. There had been an
approach from another developer requesting a meeting with the Parish Council.


010/18 Comments/Observations from Social Media sites
It was noted that there are mainly Highways issues again, which should be reported to Wiltshire Council through their App system.


011/18 Date of Next Meeting
The next ordinary meeting of Lydiard Millicent Parish Council will take place on Thursday 1st February 2018 at Lydiard Millicent Parish Hall, commencing at
7.30pm.


The meeting closed at 9.55pm
………………….
Cllr Alan Pfleger
Chairman